Reduce your Water bill
How you are charged
Should I switch to a meter?
Water saving tips
- Take shorter showers! Challenge your family to reduce their showering time. The traditional unrestricted, or high-flow showerheads use around 4 gallons per minute. If you reduce your shower by 5 minutes daily, that would be 20 gallons of water saved... for a family of four that really adds up.
- Don't let the water run while hand-washing dishes. Fill the sink up, then rinse all at once afterward.
- Use your dishwasher and washing machine only when full.
- Turn off the water when you're brushing your teeth. I know, this is not the first time you've heard this, but you'd be surprised how many people still let the water flow.
- Don't let the water run while washing produce. Rinse them in the sink, or a pan of water instead.
- Avoid washing your car at home! Most people think this saves money, but it does not. It adds gallons onto your water bill, and doesn't get your car as clean. Professional car washes are usually good with recycling the water they use with filters.
- Keep a jug of cold water in the fridge. Allowing the water to run and cool down wastes.
- Check for water leaks! A leaky toilet can waste 7,000 gallons a month.
- Avoid heavy pruning. It makes plants require more water to survive
- Replace worn washers on leaky taps. A dripping hot water tap wastes energy and over a year could unnecessarily add over £18 to your annual water bill.
- When putting the kettle on to boil, only fill it with as much water as necessary. Two-thirds of us waste energy by boiling more water than we need.
- The hot water cylinder thermostat should be set at 60°C or 140°F. Any higher is a waste of energy and could lead to scalding.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the legal information contained on “YouandYourRights” is accurate, it does not constitute legal advice tailored to your individual circumstances. If you act on it, you acknowledge that you do so at your own risk. Neither the Proprietor nor Dean Dunham can assume responsibility and do not accept liability for any damage or loss which may arise as a result of your reliance upon it.